Marijuana, Also known as cannabis, is the dried parts of the Cannabis plant. In some countries, Marijuana is used as herbal medicine and popular in humans for many years ago. But Is Marijuana is safe for dogs? and how does Marijuana affect dogs?
Humans use Marijuana for many purposes like medical purposes, use in the manufacturing of textiles, papers, ropes boxes, and much more.
Due to its Vital affects on humans, pet owners often want to know about dogs can eat Marijuana? How Marijuana affect dogs?
Our pet experts have compiled complete details about Marijuana for dogs and their possible effects to give you the information you need to keep your dog safe and healthy.
The legality of Marijuana varies from state to state this article is only for pet safety purposes. It does not violate any state rule regulation.
What is Marijuana?
Marijuana or cannabis is the dried parts of the Cannabis plant. It contains about 100 different types of chemicals, commonly known as Cannabinoids.
Among these, the Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) cannabinoid has the most psychoactive effects on the body in humans.
Many other compounds of cannabis are used for treating many health issues like cancer, nausea, and improving appetite.
Can dogs eat Marijuana?
No Marijuana is toxic to dogs and can lead your pup to certain health issues. The toxicity of cannabis can be seen in pets from about 4 hours to 15 hours after ingesting or inhaling.
After your pet is exposed to Marijuana, symptoms can last anywhere from 30 minutes to several days, depending on how much they ingest or inhale.
How Does Marijuana Affect Dogs?
Humans often use Marijuana in many ways. Dogs can be exposed to cannabis in many ways, such as ingesting directly, inhaling second-hand smoke, eating things like baked goods, candies, chocolate bars, and chips that contain cannabis.
Pet Poison Helpline reports a 448% increase in marijuana toxicity cases in pets. If your pup eats weed or inhales Marijuana it will put the below effects on your dog.
- Loss of Balance
- Loss of coordination
- Hypersensitivity to touch
- Sedation & lethargy
- Problem in breathing
- Dilated pupils
- Howling and whining
- Rise or fall in the temperature
- Abnormal heart rate
- Vomiting & Tremors
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Urinary incontinence
- Seizures & Coma
Is Marijuana safe for dogs?
No, Marijuana is toxic to dogs. Cannabis contains Cannabinoids, the most effective chemical which can lead a puppy to health issues.
According to veterinarians, dogs have more cannabinoid receptors then humans; therefore, the effects of Marijuana are more different and potentially more toxic as compared to humans.
A tiny amount of cannabis is enough to cause toxicity in Canines.
How much time does it take for Marijuana to start to affect dogs?
The effects of Marijuana depend on the dog’s health condition. Generally, signs and effects of the cannabis began in dogs from about 4 hours to 15 hours after ingesting or inhaling.
The signs can last in pets from 30 minutes to several days, depending on the amount of ingested or inhaling Marijuana.
How to Treat Marijuana toxicity in dogs?
- If your pet inhales or ingested cannabis, it needs immediate medical attention. Take your pet immediately to the vet clinic.
- If your dogs are ingesting cannabis, nearly your vet will make them vomit or pump and clean the stomach to prevent further absorption.
- If too much time has elapsed after ingestion and inhaling, then this will not work. Alternatively, your vet will activated charcoal drinks to neutralize the toxin of cannabis in the stomach.
- The use of an enema is also used to stop toxin absorption in the GI tract.
- If the dog is lethargic, IV fluids can help prevent dehydration, support blood pressure, and maintain organ function.
- Veterinarians will try to regulate your dog’s temperature and will monitor the pet’s heart rate to regulate.
- In case of severe vomiting, anti-vomiting medication will be used to stop the vomiting and to protect the pup from dehydration.
- To minimize Agitation, Anti-anxiety medications will be used.
- Noise might be a problem for your dog, so Noise should be avoided.
How much time required for a dog to recover from the marijuana cannabis effects?
In normal cases, a dog may recover from the toxicity of the marijuana cannabis within 12- 24 hours after the treatment. Some pets take times about 1 to 2 days.
In severe cases, it will take longer than normal, and your vet will correctly tell you the recovery time.
For any medical emergency, feel free to call Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680. The Pet Poison Helpline will provide immediate help with pet poison emergencies.
You may also like to read: