Imodium is loperamide, a synthetic medication used to treat mild to moderate diarrhea in humans. The medicine is also recommended by many veterinarians for dogs around the globe for dog diarrhea. How much Imodium is safe for dogs?
The medicine helps humans and pets to stop diarrhea by maintaining bowel movement in the gut. Can dogs take Imodium what is the safe dosage of loperamide for dogs?
Yes, dogs can take medicine with certain considerations to take before giving it to your canine. Imodium helps the dog’s body to gently absorb nutrients from the food and prevent pets from dehydration.
This allows the body to better absorb nutrients from food and prevents dehydration. Remember always, before offering any medication, contact your vet.
In the article, we provide a detailed guide about the use of Loperamide for dogs. You can use the table of content for smooth Navigation.
How much Imodium is safe for dogs?
|Weight of Dog||Imodium Dose||Duration|
|Under 15 lb||Only on Vet recommendation||Only on Vet recommendation|
|10-15 lb||0.5 mg or 3.75 mL||2 to 3 times a day|
|16-20||1mg or 7.5 mL||2 to 3 times a day|
|21-40 lb||1 mg||2 to 3 times a day|
|41-60 lb||1.5mg||2 to 3 times a day|
|61-69lb||2mg||2 to 3 times a day|
|70-80 lb||2.5mg||2 to 3 times a day|
|80 and above||3 mg||2 to 3 times a day|
Any medication amount depends on the dog’s breeds, health condition, and use of Other medications. The dose of the medicine will increase, decrease, or be completely avoided for certain dogs.
Before offering any medication, you must know about the benefits, side effects, and serving ideas of the medication. The ideal dosage of Imodium depends on the dog’s body weight and the form of medication.
Small dogs require a small dose of the medicine. According to pet experts, for dogs less than 20 pounds, the Liquid Imodium is better to use.
Benefits of Imodium for dogs:
- Imodium works like a charm to stop dog’s diarrhea. The medicine regulates the movement in the gut and absorbs nutrients from the food, and prevents dogs from dehydration.
- Imodium helps to firm the stools. It helps to slow down the food and helps the body to absorb the water or electrolytes. The medicine helps to deal with the food gently and gives the strength to the pet digestion system to process the food better.
- Help to cure other gastrointestinal upsets such as Irritable bowel syndrome, Colitis Malabsorption, and Maldigesting.
- The major risk of diarrhea is dehydration which might lead to death. The use of Loperamide reduces the risk of Fluid loss by absorbing all necessary nutrients and electrolytes from the food and make the body able to regains its fluids.
Side Effects of Imodium for dogs:
Like other medications, Overdosing of Imodium could also develop the below side effects in your furry find.
- Abdominal pain
- bloody diarrhea
- Dry Mouth
Which dogs should not take Loperamide?
- If your canine is on other medication, first confirm the use with your vet to avoid secondary side-effects.
- Small dogs that are less than 20 pounds can only use with veterinarian recommendations.
- Nursing and pregnant dogs only use after vet advice.
- Dogs with other signs such as vomiting, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite.
- Medicine is not recommended for dogs suffering from hypothyroidism, lung disease, kidney disease, difficulty breathing, and Addison’s disease.
- Pet with mutation in their multidrug resistance ABCB1-1Δ (MDR1) gene. Dogs can be tested for the MDR1 gene to confirm the mutation.
How to give Loperamide to dogs?
- Before giving any medication to your canine, contact your vet first for gentle advice.
- Always give a safe dose. Overdosing can lead your canine to severe health issues.
- If your dog has some medical issue or on other medication, first confirm the use of Imodium by your vet.
- Always give the medicine within the prescribed time.
- Use the medicine for 5 days and discontinue after 5 days.
- If the health issues still exist, contact your vet.
Video: How much Imodium is safe for dogs?
You may also like to read:
How much Imodium can I give my 10-pound dog?
According to vets and pet experts, the ideal size of Imodium for a 10 Pound dogs in tablet form is 0.5mg/10 ponds 2 to 3 times a day.
The liquid form of Imodium will be 3.75 mL/10 Pound. Please remember that any medication dose depends on the pup’s body weight, health condition, and breed.
How long does it take for Imodium to work in dogs?
Usually, in dogs Imodium starts to work within 1 to 2 hours after ingesting. However, it depends on the dog’s overall health performance. In some canines, it may take longer than usual.
Does Imodium hurt dogs?
Yes, and No, The recommended safe dose of Imodium by body weight is safe for your pup and will help your dog’s diarrhea. But Imodium overdose in dogs and giving in the wrong way will hurt your dogs.
It will lead your canine to severe health issues such as vomiting, constipation, seizures, Bloating, Pancreatitis, depression, Lethargy, and bloody diarrhea.
Can Imodium kill a dog?
No, Imodium is loperamide, a medication used to treat mild to moderate diarrhea in humans and pets. The vet often recommends the medicine to treat the dog’s diarrhea.
Imodium is safe for dogs with precaution and when served in the safe dose. Please note that Imodium is not recommended for certain dogs such as puppies weight under 15lb, pregnant and nursing dogs, dogs having other health issues such as hypothyroidism, lung disease, kidney disease, difficulty breathing Addison’s disease. And dogs with a mutation in their multidrug resistance ABCB1-1Δ (MDR1) gene.
If your canine has any of the above issues, first contact your vet to confirm the medicine’s use. Self-medication might lead your pet to severe health problems and even kill them.