|Dogs Weight||Dosage (Every 8-15 Hours|
|4-8 kg||4.5 to 15 mg|
|9-12 kg||9 to 30 mg|
|13-17 kg||13 to 50 mg|
|18-21 kg||15 to 65 mg|
|22-26 kg||22 to 80 mg|
|27-30 kg||25 to 100 mg|
|31- 35 kg||30 to 110 mg|
|36 and above||35 to 140 mg|
Tramadol is a famous painkiller drug mainly prescribed for both humans and pets. This medicine is primarily used for dogs suffering from osteoarthritis. Veterinarians often prescribe Tramadol after pet surgery. How much Tramadol for dogs?
How much Tramadol for dogs?
Vets often prescribe Tramadol in mild or severe pain. The drug is mainly used as a pain reliever in any discomfort such as injuries, osteoarthritis, joint pains, and especially after pet surgery.
Sometimes in severe pain, a veterinarian may prescribe Tramadol and other opioid painkiller drugs.
Tramadol dosage for dogs:
The ideal dose of Tramadol for dogs is 0.45 to 1.8 mg per pound of body weight. The dose of the drug depends on the weight, health condition, and impact of pain.
In the beginning, the recommended dose is 3-5 mg/kg Tree times a day. However, if pain persists or becomes more severe, then you can increase the up to 5 mg/kg Four times a day.
Always remember before giving any medication to your pet, first, contact your vet for advice. Overdosing and self-medication of any drug could lead your canine to a severe health issue.
Usually, Tramadol comes in 50 mg. So do not crush it by yourself first. Seek veterinarian advice on how to make a safe dose from the tablet.
The Above information is only for a guidance purpose and should not replace your vet’s advice.
How Tramadol works for dogs?
Tramadol is part of the opioid family, which is mainly used for dogs in mild or severe pain. After ingesting the Tramadol, the pain reviles by increasing the levels of norepinephrine and serotonin in the pet’s bloodstream.
Benefits of Tramadol for dogs:
- Help to revile Pain from arthritis.
- Help to revile Pain from Cancer.
- Help to revile post-operative pain.
- Help in Nonsurgical intervertebral disc disease.
- Used for anxiety and coughing.
Side Effects of Tramadol for dogs:
Tramadol is safe for dogs when serving in the safe dose. Most of the dogs almost develop no side effects. However, Like other medications, the drug has certain side effects.
Below are the possible side effects of Tramadol in dogs.
- Risk of an allergic reaction
- Loss of appetite
- Can lead to anaphylaxis
If you notice any of the above symptoms, contact your vet to avoid complications.
Safe serving ideas of Tramadol for dogs:
How to give Tramadol to dogs?
- Before giving any medication, confirm with your vet.
- If your dog is on other medication, take vet advice first.
- Make sure to inform your vet about any other medical conditions your dog has.
- Tramadol can also pass from a mother to puppies, so pregnant pets should take vet advice.
- Make sure to give a safe dosage to your pet.
- Don, not any medication suddenly. Ask your vet for quitting techniques.
- Suddenly discontinuing the medication can develop withdrawal symptoms, including breathing problems, anxiety, nausea, diarrhea, and tremors.
Tramadol toxicity in dogs:
What Dogs Should Not Take Tramadol?
According to vets and pet experts, Tramadol is safe for dogs when giving in the safe dose. However, for certain dogs, it is best to avoid giving the drug.
- Do not give to dogs with kidney or liver diseases.
- Do not give to dogs that have a seizure history.
- Do not give to pregnant or nursing dogs.
- Do not give to dogs that using other medicines such as oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
- Do not give to dogs that are on medication of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
How much Tramadol for dogs? The safe dose of the Tramadol is fine for your dogs, so make sure the vet instruction follow the instructions carefully. Overdose of the drug can be fatal. Also, suddenly stopping the use of this drug can develop serious withdrawal symptoms.
You may also like to read:
Is Tramadol 50 mg the same for humans and canines?
Yes, Tramadol 50 mg is the same drug used for both humans and pets. But the dose of humans and pets is not the same.
Before buying, make sure to read the label and avoid the product if it contains other toxic ingredients. Only Buy vet-recommended Tramadol and serve only a safe dose to your dog.
Overdose can lead your canine to a severe health condition.
Can Tramadol kill my dog?
The safe dose of Tramadol can not kill your dog. However, an overdose of Tramadol can put your dog in severe health conditions such as shallow breathing, coma, tremors and difficulty breathing, and death from suffocation. Before giving the drug to your furry friend, first, seek vet advice.