Cefpodoxime for dogs is an antibiotic drug that will help to treat and protect your dog against the diseases that they may be going through in their body like treat skin infections, bladder infection, ear infection and respiratory infection.
Medicines help us and our pets with many health issues. However, every drug may have some mild to severe side effects.
This article is a comprehensive guide about Cefpodoxime for Dogs, its uses, side effects, and safe serving ideas.
Uses of Cefpodoxime for Dogs
Cefpodoxime is a broad-spectrum antibiotic in the cephalosporin family. In canines, this antibiotic is used for various bacterial infections. In dogs, Cefpodoxime is commonly used to treat urinary tract infections, Infected wounds, and Pneumonia.
Cefpodoxime Side Effects for Dogs
According to vets and pet experts there are very less side effects of cefpodoxime for canines. The most commonly reported side effects of cefpodoxime are vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased appetite. However the over dose of cefpodoxime can can lead your canine to sever health issues. Many pet owners do not realize the danger of side effects until it’s too late.
A pet is a loving member of your family and should be treated as such. So we suggest only give the vet prescribe drug to your furry friend.
How to give Cefpodoxime to your dogs safely?
There are some concerns about cefpodoxime for dogs side effects since it has been used for a long time without any report of adverse reactions, or side effects. we will let you in on some findings that have been made after years of research.
- Use Cefpodoxime with caution if your dogie has kidney disease or having a history of seizures. They might be toxic to them.
- This medication should only be used during pregnancy if necessary and should be used with caution in nursing animals.
- Like humans, if you observe that your dog is allergic to the medicine or observe that your dog is falling in any other pressing issue, stop the medication immediately and contact your vet.
- Cefpodoxime some time causes diarrhea and nausea in those dogs when they have already some health issues or infections in the body. Then digesting antibiotic become tougher and lead to these issues.
- Please remember, self medication is harmful for both humans and pets. Only feed such medicines with vet recommendations that help to protect your pet against the diseases.
- When you start the dose of this medicine in severe disease, you might observe some serious complications like blood in your puppy’s stool.
- Improper feeding of this antibiotic may cause stomach upset and loss of appetite.
What is cefpodoxime used to treat in dogs?
Cefpodoxime is not an FDA approved drug for dogs; however, many veterinarians prescribe product Cefpodoxime for dogs. Cefpodoxime is used to treat bacterial infections of the skin, bladder and respiratory infections in dogs. In puppies Cefpodoxime does not treat viral or parasitic infections. If you’re not sure what to do, contact the nearby veterinarians that can help you sort through your fears and questions, and provide you with the answers to these questions.
No matter what concerns you have, or what precautions you take, it would help if you always ask your veterinarian for the best advice.
Does cefpodoxime make dogs sleepy?
According to vet and expert, there is no ingredient in cefpodoxime which make your dogs sleepy. However, there are some side effects of these drugs like vomiting, decreased appetite, and diarrhea which weaken your furry friend, and they may look like sleepy.
If your puppy continues the sleepy condition for a long time, contact your vet if there is any other health issuer to your furry friend.
How long can a dog take cefpodoxime?
Dosage of this medicine may vary from puppy to dogs and also depend on the health condition of the dog. The best ideas is that Give this medication exactly as directed by your veterinarian. However, The usual dose of cefpodoxime is for 5 to 7 days about 2.3-4.5 mg/lb, given by mouth, or 2 to 3 days beyond the cessation of clinical signs, up to a maximum of 28 days.
Does cefpodoxime treat ear infections in dogs?
Yes, Cefpodoxime is prescribed by the veterinarian to treat the infection in the body, which includes ear infection. When you have to plan this medicine for the ear infection in your pup only Use this drug, and the amount of this antibiotic only when prescribed by your vet.