Diarrhea is the most common health issue among humans and pets. Diarrhea is common occurring health issue in dogs, leading to dehydration and other health issues. Nearly all dogs will experience diarrhea at some point. Even healthy dogs sometimes get diarrhea. Pet owners often want to know about what to give dogs when they have diarrhea?
As a pet owner, you should know how to treat a dog’s diarrhea at home. Because Some diarrhea condition needs immediate medical attention; delaying can lead the pet to severe health problem and sometimes death.
In some cases it is not possible to immediately take the pup to the vet.
Bellow mentioned are some of the best home remedies for a dog’s diarrhea, which you can use as a first aid that will help your dog get back to his usual self in no time.
Best food for a dog with diarrhea::
What can you give a dog for diarrhea? Pet owners often face a problem that their furry friends often eat things that they shouldn’t and lead them to stomach upset and diarrhea.
Some types of diarrhea can be treated at home, while some are chronic, which indicates a severe health issue, and immediate medical attention is required from a professional veterinarian.
The below-mentioned foods are for temporary and acute diarrhea in dogs.
1. White Rice:
White Rice is an ideal source of carbohydrates for your dogs having an upset stomach. Plain and white rice works like a tonic in dogs with acute diarrhea.
Rice is easily digestible, relatively energy-dense, and contains a certain compound that helps puppies to decrease the amount of fluid lost in diarrhea. Give small frequent meals of white rice for four or five days.
Pumpkin is rich in fiber, minerals, potassium, iron and vitamin A, E, and C. Pumpkin helps like a charm in a dog’s loose stools. The soluble fiber in the pumpkin adds bulks to a dog’s lost stools by absorbing fluids and stimulate intestinal function.
Remember that start in moderation and with less amount and then gradually increase to the safe amount. Do not overfeed You can add 1-to-4 tablespoons of plain and cooked pumpkin to your dogs with diarrhea.
According to vets and pet nutritionists, boiled white meat chicken is mostly recommended for dogs with diarrhea. Make sure to remove fat, bones, and skin before offering it to your canine. The breast meat of the chicken will be the best option.
Give in moderation with breaks. Do not overfeed. You can add the chicken to white rice. The combination of rice to chicken will be 2 to 1.
4. Boiled potatoes:
Potatoes contain a rich amount of iron which helps dogs suffering from anemia. The vegetable works like a charm in a dog’s diarrhea when served in moderation. The potatoes help firm the stool and give relief in loss motion in pets.
Do not overfeed, and don’t add any toxic ingredients like salt and other spices. Feed only boiled and well-cooked potatoes without skin
Oatmeal is a rich source of soluble fiber, vitamin B, and omega-6 fatty acid, which helps pups in many ways. Oatmeal is considered a super food for dogs and especially canines suffering from GI upset and diarrhea.
6. Cottage cheese:
Veterinarians often suggest cottage cheese for dogs with loose stools. According to the ASPCA, in moderation, cottage cheese is safe and harmless for puppies.
Cottage cheese is rich in healthy fats, proteins, and fiber which help in firming the canine stools. It also helps the pet to stay regular.
Make sure to feed this in moderation. Please do not exceed 10 percent of his dietary intake in a day. Overfeeding will increase the risk more than the benefit.
7. Plain yogurt:
how much yogurt to give a dog with diarrhea? Plain yogurt is considered a tonic for dogs with upset stomachs and diarrhea. Plain yogurt provides probiotics and healthy flora to a pup’s gut to relieve the loose stools.
Moderation in any food is most important. Only feed plain yogurt and avoid flavored or sweet yogurt. What kind of yogurt can dogs eat?
How to give Home remedies for dogs diarrhea?
How to treat diarrhea in dogs? Dog’s diarrhea needs proper attention. Safe Serving of the recommended food will aid your furry friend. Follow the below safe serving ideas of the home remedies for the best result.
- If your canine has diarrhea, you need to give some rest to your dogs’ gastrointestinal tract to recover. Hold your furry friend’s meal for 24 hours for rest and recovery.
- Remember that keep your dog hydrated by offering plenty of water is important to avoid any complications.
- After the break of 24 hours, start your dogs gradually back onto the food.
- Allow a less amount of the foods with breaks in about 3-4 meals in a day.
- Offer your white dog rice, boiled and plain potatoes, boiled chicken, oatmeal, plain yogurt, and cottage cheese for a speedy recovery.
- Stick to this diet until the safe recovery of your pet.
- Food break for such a long time is not recommended for puppies, older age dogs, and dogs with other health issues.
- Contact your vet for gentle advice.
How to prevent your dog from diarrhea?
- Keep your dog hydrated with clean water.
- Do not make him free to drink dirty water.
- Offer only a safe and healthy diet.
- Protect your dog from eating toxic foods.
- Protect your pup from spoiled food and garbage.
- Schedule proper exercise.
- Deworm your dog to protect it from parasites.
- Keep your dog calm and Minimize the stress environment.
13 common causes of diarrhea in dogs:
What is the most common cause of diarrhea in dogs? Following are the most common causes of diarrhea in dogs.
- Toxic diet and food poisoning.
- Food allergy or ingesting spoiled food
- Poisonous plants and other substances
- Eating foreign bodies.
- Stress and anxiety
- Colitis and dehydration
- Certain medications reactions.
- Gastrointestinal upsets
- Bacterial Contamination
- Presence of the internal parasites.
- Kindly or liver diseases
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis
Last update on 2022-01-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API