Skip to Content

Why are raisins bad for dogs? Grapes and Raisins Toxicity

Grapes are toxic to dogs. But why are raisins bad for dogs? Raisins in any form seedless or peeled are highly toxic and poisonous to dogs. And can put your pup in severe health condition. 

Why are raisins bad for dogs?

There are two main points about raisins as dog food. First is that no-one knows which element is exactly toxic and poisoning for dogs, and the second is that the toxicity may not affect every individual dog equally.

However, Gender, breed, or age of a dog does not influence the risk of being affected; every dog might be affected at a different level of toxicity.

The toxicity is first identified by the Animal Poison Control Center (ASPCA), run by they Approximately studied 140 in one year from April 2003 to April 2004, with 50 developing symptoms and seven dying.

Symptoms of raisins toxicity in dogs:

Symptoms of raisins toxicity in dogs

If your dogs ingested raisins he might develop the below sings and symptoms:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Unusual stillness
  • Anuria (lack of urine production)
  •  Increased thirst 
  • Vomiting and diarrhea (They often develop within a few hours of ingestion) 
  • Abdominal pain 

Side Effects of Raisins for dogs:

Side Effects of Raisins for dogs

Raisins are extremely dangerous and poisonous for puppies. And can lead your pet to a severe health condition like 

  • Acute kidney failure. (Develops within 48 hours of ingestion)
  • Increases in the blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, phosphorus, and calcium
  • Dehydration 
  • Vomiting and diarrhea. 
  • Trouble breathing

Treatment of raisins and grapes toxicity in dogs:

If your dog ingested raisins or grapes, they need immediate medical attention. Take your dogs to the vet as soon as possible.

At the very first, your vet will make your dogs vomit by using emetics such as apomorphine or use of activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins in the gastrointestinal tract.

Immediate intravenous fluid therapy is needed within the 48 hours to induce dieresis and to prevent acute kidney failure.

Dialysis can be done if anuria develops. . BUN, creatinine, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, and potassium levels are closely monitored.

To stimulate and decreased urine production can be treated with dopamine or furosemide. 


How many raisins will hurt a dog?

Remember that a tiny amount of raisins will hurt your dog. According to vets, The lowest poisonous dose has been around 3g/kg, which means that one piece of raising weight about 0.5g, so about six raisins per kg is enough to cause toxicity.

Can a single raisin kill a dog?

The simple answer to the question Can a single raisin kill a dog is No. Because even a little puppy can get away with it, but remember that for determining the risk of raisins and grapes.

There’s no clear link between the size of your dog, and the amount ate the risk of feeding raisin is so high.

So never try to give even a single raisin to the dog. Because no one knows exactly how much raisin can lead the puppy to a severe health condition and can kill them.

What in raisins is bad for dogs?

Without any doubt, raisins are bad and highly toxic for dogs. Research has yet to pinpoint what in raisins is bad for dogs, and which substance causes the toxicity.

But this confirms that ingesting the fruit in any form can lead your pup to deadly conditions like acute kidney failure and can lead to death.

How long does it take for raisins to affect a dog?

The toxicity level of raisins and grapes depends on the dog breed, size and health condition. Usually, the symptoms of raisins and grapes toxicity start between 8 and 12 hours after ingesting the fruit.

However severe effects like kidney failure and liver failure developing within a day or about 48 t0 72 hours if not given immediate treatment.

So we always suggest, do not wait for the signs and symptoms of the fruit if you are sure that your pup has ingested the fruit take a vet help as soon as possible.

How many raisins can a dog eat?

Raisins are extremely toxic and poisonous to dogs. According to vets and pet experts, even a single piece can also harm your dog. So the best idea is to not feed any amount of raisins and grapes to your puppy.

You must be aware that ingesting of the fruit can lead your dog to a severe health condition like kidney and liver failure and even to death.

Are coked raisins toxic to dogs?

Raisins in any form peeled, seedless and coked are toxic to dogs. Why you need to feed raisins as they have tons of side effects for your dog.

Some experts say that cooked raisins decrease the toxicity level of the fruit, but there is no satisfying evidence of this theory.

So try to find a healthy alternative instead of giving the raisins and grapes to your pet.

How many raisins are toxic to dogs?

Till now no one no the exact amount of the raisins which lead to toxicity. Even a very lithe amount of the fruit in any form can lead your dogs to dangerous threats like kidney and liver failure.