How does Chocolate kill Dogs? Prevention Methods

Chocolate is dangerous and could be life-threatening for dogs. Chocolate toxicity depends on the type, ingredients and ingested amount of the Chocolate. Eating this sweet and coca product can kill your canine. How does Chocolate kill Dogs?

In the article, we will covet all the possible aspects of Chocolate and dogs. You can use the table of contact for smooth navigation.

Why is Chocolate toxic to Dogs?

We humans love Chocolate, it contains various ingredients which have a direct effect on our body and mind which make us feel good. The primary toxic ingredient of Chocolate for dogs are two kinds of stimulants known as caffeine and theobromine.

Humans metabolism system quickly metabolize the theobromine, but dogs are susceptible to these. Dogs metabolism is not strong enough to deal with theobromine.

How does Chocolate kill Dogs?

Theobromine stimulant in Chocolate can kill your dog. Theobromine stimulant conveys messages throve nervous compel muscles to contract, which pushes the heart complex, and leads your pet to life-threatening risk especially dogs with pre-existing heart disease.

The stimulant even can lead a healthy pup to a fatal heart attack. The toxicity of the Chocolate may vary from breed to breed. It also depends on the pups immune system and the amount of the sweet ingested.

Ingesting a large amount of theobromine can leads to life-threatening internal bleeding, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, seizures, or a heart attack.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs:

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
  • Increase in thirst
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive panting or shaking
  • Restlessness
  • Increase in Heart rate
  • Increased urination
  • Increased blood pressure
  • Irregular breathing
  • Hyperactivity
  • Seizures
  • Collapse and death

What to do if a dog eats Chocolate?

  • If you are sure your pet ate Chocolate or any home remedy chocolate, the very first thing you need to do is to immediate takes your canine to the vet as soon as possible. Chocolate poisoning is fatal and can lead your canine to death.
  • Immediately remove the Chocolate from your dog, and don’t let your dogs go anywhere.
  • Take the chocolate pack to the veterinarian clinic so that your vet know about the ingredients of the sweet.
  • If your canine ingested the sweet for less than 1 to 2 hour, your vet would induce your pet to vomit by activated charcoal. The vomit will help to remove the toxin from the body and will stop your canine body from absorbed further.
  • If you think taking your pet to the canine will take a long time, you can vomit your dog by your self.
  • Remember, the vomit technique will only work when ingested sweet for less than 1 to 2 hour.
  • Your vet will start immediate Treatment of your furry friend and will provide IV fluids and other Supplements.
  • The recommended option is to train your puppy to not eat toxic ingredients to ensure your dog doesn’t eat any toxic food in your absence. If you are a pet lover, chose the easiest dogs to train.

Long term effects of dog eating Chocolate:

If your dog is fond of eating sweets, keep your canine away from eating Chocolate. Besides the short term effect, Chocolate also has long term effects on dogs.

Theobromine poisoning can lead your dog to heart issues and other illnesses such as seizures and restlessness.

FAQ:

How long does it take for Chocolate to affect a dog?

The toxicity and effect of Chocolate in dogs depend on the type and amount of the sweet ingested.

Usually, chocolate toxicity in canines starts in 2 to 4 hours after ingesting the Chocolate. The theobromine ingredients may remain in the pet body for about 24 hours.

Is milk chocolate bad for dogs?

Yes, milk chocolate is bad for dogs. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are extremely toxic to puppies and can even lead them to death.

Milk in small amount is safe for dogs; however, ingesting in large amount is not safe for your canine, and it can lead to obesity and other health issues.

If a dog eats Chocolate, how long will it take to die?

Chocolate poisoning could be life-threatening for your dog. The toxicity of the sweet depends on the type and amount of the sweet ingested.

Usually, chocolate toxicity starts within 2 to 4 hours. Immediate treatment can save your pet life; however, delaying for more than 6 hours will increase the risk of death. 

How much Chocolate does it take to kill a dog?

It will take just one ounce per pound of bodyweight of your dog to deadly poison it. One pound of milk chocolate is poisonous enough for a 20 pound dog. While a half-pound is enough for a 10-pound dog.

How long does it take for a dog to get sick after eating chocolate?

5 to 15 hours

Chocolate toxicity depends on the ingested amount of the chocolate and ingredients amount of caffeine and theobromine. A dog may get sick from chocolate poisoning from 5 to 15 hours. The time duration may vary from breed to breed and from puppy to dog.

Servedogs Team always recommend immediate medical attention by a professional when if you observe that your pup ingested the sweet.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.