Sucralfate is a veterinary hydroxy aluminum salt of sucrose octa sulfate medicine mostly used as a local mucosal for dogs. Sucralfate for dogs is used to treat ulcers and upper GI disorders of dogs. The medicine is mainly recommended for GI erosion and ulceration in dogs.
This article will give you a complete guide about the use of Sucralfate for dogs. You can use the table of content for smooth navigation.
What is sucralfate for dogs?
Sucralfate is a veterinary medicine prescribes for many canine ulcers such as stomach and intestine ulcers, mouth and esophagus ulcers. Vet often prescribe sucralfate for stomach, mouth, esophagus s and intestine ulcers and other illnesses that causes excessive secretion such as the liver and renal illness, Hypoadrenocorticism, inflammatory bowel disease, mast cell tumors and bloat in dogs etc.
The use of the sucralfate is off the label, so you need to follow your vet instruction giving the medicine to your furry friend.
How Sucralfate works in dogs?
Sucralfate is a hydroxy aluminum salt of sucrose octasulfate that acts as a local mucosal defender. After a pup ingested the medicine, it starts work in the body’s acidic environment and become sticky.
In the acidic environment, sucralfate forms a Gluey gel that sticks to the affected secretion point within an ulcer crater.
Sucralfate For dogs Dosage Chart:
|Small dogs||0.25mg to 0.5mg||Every 6 to 8 hours|
|Medium dogs||0.5mg to 1mg||Every 6 to 8 hours|
|Large dogs||1mg to 1.25mg||Every 6 to 8 hours|
Sucralfate Benefits for dogs:
- The medicine is proven in treating and preventing mouth, stomach, esophagus, and intestinal ulcers in pets.
- Sucralfate works like a charm in many GI upset and intestinal problems.
- The medicine heals the affected ulcer and protects other parts of the body from the contamination of stomach acids.
- Sucralfate promotes the healing process of a pet suffering from erosions and ulcers.
- The medicine helps to prevent the canine from gastritis, usually caused for drugs such as Aspirin for dogs.
- The medicine is also used to reduce the risk of acid reflux disease.
- Remember that vet prescribes this medicine off the label, so you must follow the vet advice.
- This acts to protect the internal body from stomach acids contamination.
What are the side effects of sucralfate in dogs?
Medicine always come with some side effects. Sucralfate also has minor side effects; however, overdosing can develop serious side effects. Below are some common side effects reported.
- Allergic Reactions
- May decrease the rate of gastric emptying
- May Slow GI transit time
How to give sucralfate to dogs?
- Please remember the drug is not approved by the FDA for animal use. So only follow your vet advice and avoid self-medication.
- Always give any medication in a safe amount and avoid overdosing.
- The sucralfate may affect the absorption of other medicines such as H2 receptor and other NSAIDs, so it is advised to use the medicine separately.
- The drug may cause an increase in blood sugar levels, so only give with vet prescription to diabetic pups.
- Sucralfate may also lead to decreased phosphate levels, so electrolytes should be kept as first aid before administrating the drug.
- The medication works best when given on an empty stomach.
- Give the medicine one hours before or three hours after the meal on an empty stomach.
- Sucralfate usually comes in two forms tablet form and liquid form.
- Crush the safe dosage of the tablet and dissolve it in lukewarm water. Shake well the liquid suspension and give the safe dose.
What does sucralfate treat in dogs?
Sucralfate is mainly used in dogs for ulcers such as stomach, mouth, esophagus , intestine ulcers and other diseases such as liver and renal illnesses, bloat in dogs, hypoadrenocorticism, inflammatory bowel disease, mast cell tumors etc. Some vets often prescribe sucralfate for dogs with upset stomach and GI disorders.
How quickly does sucralfate work in dogs?
Generally, the effect of the sucralfate depends on the health condition of the canine. Usually, the medication starts works within 1 to 2 hours.